SPE In Action – The Battle Against Covid-19

Expand all | Collapse all

Plastics in the battle against the virus

• 1.  Plastics in the battle against the virus

Posted 04-16-2020 13:55
      |   view attached
    The attached video was shared with my by Dr. Surendra Agarwal from SPE's India Section. It was produced by PlastIndia, and shows the good work that plastics professionals continue to do in creating technologies, processes and products useful in the battle against the global pandemic.

------------------------------
    Patrick Farrey
    CEO
    SPE - Inspiring Plastics Professionals

• 2.  RE: Plastics in the battle against the virus

Posted 4 days ago
      |   view attached
    HTI Group has invented a Green plant-extract based Virus reducing Masterbatch that can destroy 99.16% viruses from the surface of the product within 1 minute. The formulation is patent pending. 

The testing has been done by BTS Lab and Intertek for viral and bacterial reduction. The extractable from the film for food contact packaging i.e. FDA 21 CFR 177.1520 has been done by SGS Lab.

The MB is available in PE, PP, EVA, ABS, PC.

It can be used to make blown films, thermoformed, injection moulded and extruded products.

Please contact us for more information and test reports.

Regards,
    Sid

SID Sareen
    Hi Tech Group

+1 657 3252 090
    +91 9814309000
    info@keepusafeproducts.com
    www.keepusafeproducts.com

SID Sareen
    Hi Tech International

+1 714 949 9440
    +91 99157 15000
    sidharthsareen@doctorrust.com
    sid@rustx.net

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Keep U Safe 2020.pdf   4.25MB 1 version

• 3.  RE: Plastics in the battle against the virus

Posted 3 days ago
    Hi Sid,
    Orbis Corporation my have some interest in that technology. Would you please send us technical information for Virus reducing masterbatches for HDPE and PP injection molding applications?
    Thank you

Roman W Wypart

Senior Process Engineer

ORBIS Corporation

705 Wilson Parkway, Bardstown, KY, 40004

Office: 502-275-0640

Cell: 813-785-3439

Fax: 502-331-0153

Roman.Wypart@orbiscorporation.com

Roman Wypart
    ORBIS

• 4.  RE: Plastics in the battle against the virus

Posted 3 days ago
    Good day Patrick,

Great video showing all the areas where plastics are employed. It shows the versatility of plastic.

I have no issue with the use of plastics but it what happens after its use is what concerns me. With so much plastic being used and consumed in different areas of our lives, it's imperative that we find ways of closing the loop(s). With vast amounts of plastics already being sent to landfill and landing in our oceans, the COVID pandemic has led to significant increases in the use/consumption of plastics and with insufficient systems in place to collect, process and re-use many of these waste plastics, plastic pollution levels will just increase exponentially.

We need to start with the end in mind. Used plastic products are waste materials until they can be collected, processed and converted/upcycled into another useful product. We need to see waste plastics not as a waste but as a resource and if we cannot see it that way, we need to develop products that then makes them a resource/resourceful.

All the best,

Theodoor

Theodoor Steeman
    Innovative Plastic Solutions

• 5.  RE: Plastics in the battle against the virus

Posted 2 days ago
    Thank you for your comments Theodoor!

I agree with you...no product, plastic or otherwise, ought to be discarded uncontrolled into the environment. That's simply unacceptable. Creating appropriate end-of-life scenarios for all manufactured products remains top of mind for SPE's members.

I would encourage you, and everyone, to participate further in this conversation by joining SPE's Recycling Division, which focuses on the science and technology of polymer recycling - including mechanical, chemical, and ancillary processes. The mission of the division is to promote research, commercial technology and benefits of recycled plastics as a highly valuable and sustainable material for a wide array of global applications.

I appreciate your support of SPE!

Pat

Patrick Farrey
    CEO

• 6.  RE: Plastics in the battle against the virus

Posted 2 days ago
    Collection and reprocessing and reuse certainly are important for plastics.

An interesting anecdotal observation I made in the last week when dropping off my recycling.  The recycle location has collection for both cardboard and plastic.  The local recycling location has doubled the number of cardboard collection dumpsters.  They have not doubled the plastic dumpsters.

Is this an indication of the relative quantities of boosted use of cardboard vs. plastic during COVID or does this reflect the public's relative awareness of/willingness to recycle the extra cardboard vs. the extra plastic?  Note that recycling is not mandatory or otherwise incentivized (ie. no bag fees for trash disposal) locally.​

Jay Chaffin

• 7.  RE: Plastics in the battle against the virus

Posted 2 days ago
    Thanks, Patrick, It is a beautifully done video, emphatic message with clarity and simplicity.  Can this be shared externally, say on social websites and education?

Mukesh Bisaria
    Polytarp Products

• 8.  RE: Plastics in the battle against the virus

Posted 2 days ago
    The video can be shared on social platforms. Link is https://bit.ly/2EuYR1Q.

P

Patrick Farrey
    CEO